About Daisy Editorial
Before going freelance as a copy-editor and proofreader in 2003 I spent over 14 years working in information and publications roles in an international legal firm, a local authority and several NGOs.
I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). To attain membership, editors must have achieved the standards of training and experience set by the Society. All Daisy Editorial work is carried out in strictest confidence and in accordance with the SfEP Code of Practice.
Based in Scotland, I work for a wide range of clients worldwide, including publishers, design agencies, businesses, magazines, non-profit organisations, government departments and independent authors. I can help you improve any non-fiction writing, including books, promotional materials, web articles, reports and business documents. I also work with authors who have English as a second language. Below are some examples of my clients and projects I have worked on.
Qualifications & professional membership
- Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)
- Publishing Training Centre (PTC) qualifications:
- Proofreading (distinction)
- Editing (merit)
- SfEP training:
- Introduction to proofreading
- On-screen editing 1 and 2
- Brush up your grammar
- Web editing and proofreading
- Introduction to fiction editing
- Practical mark-up of PDFs
- Editing with Word
- Scots law degree (LLB) (DipLP)
- MPhil Child Studies (distinction)
- CPD including courses on ebooks/epub
- Currently information director of the SfEP
Some of my clients
- Independent writers
- Ave Design
- Iconda Solutions
- Inside Meditation
- Isle of Man Government
- Just Content
- King’s College London
- Macmillan Caribbean
- Manx Heritage Foundation
- Manx Ornithological Society
- Natural History Museum
- Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism
Examples of how I have helped my clients
- Rewriting content for a business website to achieve clarity and enhance search engine results.
- Copy-editing revised edition of a school textbook and flagging up out-of-date information for the author.
- Editing a multi-author textbook for consistency of content and design; ensuring syllabus requirements were included and correctly referenced.
- Working with the development and picture editors to choose illustrations for a book, ensuring a good gender and ethnic mix, and writing image briefs for the artwork designer.
- Helping an author to rewrite a memoir, designing the interior page layout and preparing print-on-demand and e-book files for publication.
- Editing magazine articles for a non-native English speaker while maintaining his distinctive tone of voice and field-specific language.
- Formatting an academic book into house style, including making references consistent and inserting new subheadings where required; preparing lists of acronyms and tables.
- Reducing word count of a strategy document for public consultation.
- Liaising directly with authors and development editors, raising and dealing with queries as appropriate.
- Design and layout of a journal for an NGO.
- Checking job applications, CVs and proposals for individuals.
I have just incorporated the changes that you suggested and would like to thank you for your excellent work. I found it very easy to understand your comments, and I am very impressed by the consistent attention that you paid to the document from beginning to end.
It’s been a pleasure to complete our first project with Daisy Editorial. The finished document, totalling some 600 pages, was delivered on time, on budget, with great communication throughout. This is by far the most consistent document we’ve ever produced, so thank you for your hard work and attention to detail.
Thank you so much for the amazing editing work, as well as tidying up the formatting, which truly reads much better.
It looks like you have done a fantastic job. Thanks again for your great work. If you don’t mind we will keep your name on file for future jobs.
Thank you for all the work you have done and working with you was a pleasure. The help that you gave me has enabled the book to sell well. Much appreciated.
Thanks for all of your eagle-eyed proofing! The edits were really helpful and easy to follow.
I think you really got a great handle on the right tone for the magazine with the last two pieces you worked on – the edited versions read really well, so you’re definitely ‘in the zone’ very quickly with Second Nature, which is great news for us!
I’ve now been through the document and agree with virtually all the amendments you have suggested, and thank you for all your hard work! It really reads so much better now.