Short version: I only ask for what I need, and I take every step to make sure it’s safe while I have it.
I may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You can check this page at any time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
I am committed to ensuring that your privacy and data are protected. Should I ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified then you can be assured that I will only ask for what I need to conduct business with you and will use your information only in accordance with this policy. I take rigorous steps to protect your data while in my possession (see Data protection below).
I will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless I have your permission or am required by law to do so.
What information I collect
I may collect the following information:
- Personal information that you provide by filling in the contact form on this website or by sending an email, including your name, your contact details, including postal and email addresses, and other information relevant to your enquiry (e.g. details of your book or project).
- Copies of our correspondence and telephone conversations.
- Copies of any documents you supply in order to request a quote or fulfil a contract between us (e.g. the draft of your document or book).
- Job-specific information such as agreed fees, hours worked and supplementary information you provide to enable completion of projects.
- Anonymous information about your use of this website, including pages viewed and the resources that you access. Such information includes traffic data, location data, browser usage, operating system and other communication data. Such information will not identify you personally but helps me judge how my website is performing.
I do not collect any financial information via this website. If you engage my services I will send you an invoice by email, but for which I will need your postal address. I do not accept direct payment by card or cheque so I do not hold your financial information.
What I do with your information
I will use this information to:
- respond to your enquiry
- provide you with professional services
- let you know about my availability or new services if we have an ongoing business relationship
- keep business and tax records
- analyse my business strategy and improve my products and services.
I will keep information and documents indefinitely unless you ask me to delete them. I may be required to keep some information for a specified time, for example details of our business transactions for tax purposes. I may archive project documents and correspondence on completion but retain anything necessary to provide a reference for future projects with you (e.g. the style sheet I have agreed with you and a record of our contract for services) or to maintain my business records.
I take rigorous steps to ensure that your information is held securely while in my possession:
- I use reputable providers for web hosting, password protection and cloud storage.
- All work is done on password-protected computers that only I control, including local storage of working documents and emails.
- Documents and emails are backed up regularly to secure, password-protected cloud storage.
- Documents and emails are backed up regularly to external hard drives, which are then stored in a locked location.
- I periodically archive documents and emails for completed projects in a password-protected location.
- I ensure that all data is irretrievably wiped from old devices before I dispose of them.
- Should a breach occur (e.g. my computer is stolen), I will inform you as soon as possible if I think your information may be vulnerable.
- Where possible, it is my business practice to exchange documents via a secured service such as Dropbox or Google Drive. If you prefer to exchange documents via email, I am happy to do so. However, the nature of the internet means that there is some small risk that information sent by unsecured email can be intercepted.
Controlling your information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- You may request details of personal data (as defined under the GDPR) that I hold about you. A small fee may be payable.
- If you believe that any information I am holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email me as soon as possible. I will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- You may ask me to delete personal data, information and copies of any documents you send me after a project is completed, except what I am required to keep by law or for tax purposes (e.g. your name and address on invoices and a record of our business contract).
- You may tell me that you do not want me to use your information for direct marketing purposes, such as to tell you about my availability or new services.
- If you have previously agreed to me using your personal information for such direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time.
This website is made using WordPress and related plugins, some of which place cookies (small, harmless text files) on your computer while you are using this site, mainly to protect this site from spam attacks. Cookies are widely used to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide basic information to the owners of websites.
This website uses session cookies, which means they are only used while you are viewing the website and are deleted when you close your web browser. If you come back another time, a new cookie will be placed in your web browser and again deleted when you leave.
Most web browsers allow you to control cookies via the browser settings. You can choose to block the cookies placed by this website, but if you do so parts of the site may not work correctly.
Links to other websites